A Travellerspoint blog

Day 22 Saturday. Paris 🇫🇷

Banner day for me

sunny 27 °C

We were up and out early to hop on the metro(subway) to get the missing hop on off passes. Once we found the office we were all set to go. We hopped on a bus, sat up top in the open part of the double deck and enjoyed much cooler temps and a breeze as well. It was cloudy 'till noon and we enjoyed the bus tour with narration so we got some history lessons and a better idea of where at we were looking at. We got off at spots along the way and the. Just picked up the next bus. It is a great way to cover a lot of territory. The Arc de Triomphe was the highlight of our day. We went inside and started climbing. I told them all I was going only to the middle level. No way was I going to the top. Well we climbed and we climbed until we reached the gift shop. Gin & I needed a break so we cruised the shop. Anything to quit climbing! We had come so far and still hadn't seen daylight and I so wanted to at least make it half way. We started to climb again and amazingly saw daylight ahead. So I emerged from the stairwell to find myself at the very top. Momentary panic but then I realized I was nowhere near the edge I recovered my composure and Ron attached me to a two step platform that gave me about 300 degrees of railing to hold on to still 10' from the edge. He went off to take photos. By the time he had come to collect me my heart had stopped racing and I wanted to see the other side which meant getting to the rim. And hey, I did it. Hanging on to Ron for dear life but I did it! I am so happy we climbed the 288 stairs and really glad I didn't count! The day was cooler, easier to manage 27 C. with a good breeze and lots of wind when the bus was moving. We went to Notre Dame early and there was a huge outdoor mass in progress so we had to come back later in the day. It was a beautiful Church. We went to the Opéra Garnier where some of the Phantom of the Opera was filmed but all the tours in English had sold out and the auditorium was closed due to a rehearsal. That was disappointing. But we had a great lunch in the Trocadéro. We stayed on the bus for another city tour and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We went for a simple dinner and then we were back to the foot of the Eiffel for an evening river cruise on the Seine. That was so much fun. We had a school choir aboard that sang at least half of the time. And they were incredible. Of course their voices carried on the water and we got the attention of all families and young people partying along the banks and strolling over the bridges. We got waves and cheers and applause, whistles and cameras and shouts. Every time we went under a stone bridge if the kids weren't singing they were cheering and the echo was deafening. It was a fun hour. Then we hung around the park at the base of the Eiffel waiting for darkness, which didn't come until 10:30. And then we decided to wait for the sparkle show at 11p that lasted for 5 minutes. The lighted tower is beautiful and the sparkle show was a bonus. Our room in our hotel is covered with a form of ivy and our room has a wide window ledge. There is a pigeon sitting on two eggs in our casement ledge so we are afraid to leave the window open as our window opens right to the bottom of the casement. Dennis and Gin are right above us and while they can leave their window open at night they are bothered by mosquitoes. We walked 16.8 km today and it was a long day. I'm sure we'll sleep soundly tonight.

Posted by GBallam 08:34 Archived in France

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint